History of C:
C is a middle level programming language developed by Dennis Ritchie during the early 1970s while working at AT&T Bell Labs in USA. The objective of its development was in the context of the re-design of the UNIX operating system to enable it to be used on multiple computers.
However, besides assembler and FORTRAN, UNIX also included an interpreter for the programming language B. This language B was now used for improving the UNIX system. Being a high level language, B allowed much faster production of code than in assembly language. Still, B suffered from drawbacks as it did not understand data-types and did not provide the use of “structures”.
These drawbacks became the driving force for Ritchie for development of a new programming language called C. He kept most of language B’s syntax and added data-types and many other required changes. Eventually C was developed during 1971-73, containing both high-level functionality and the detailed features required to program an operating system. Hence, many of the UNIX components including UNIX kernel itself were eventually rewritten in C.
Benefits of C
- C is a structured programming language which allows a complex program to be broken into simpler programs called functions. It also allows free movement of data across these functions.
- C language is case-sensitive.
- C is highly portable and is used for scripting system applications which form a major part of Windows, UNIX and Linux operating system.
- C is a general purpose programming language and can efficiently work on enterprise applications, games, graphics, and applications requiring calculations.
- C language has a rich library which provides a number of built-in functions. It also offers dynamic memory allocation.
History of C++
The origin of C++ dates back to 1979 when Bjarne Stroustrup, also an employee of Bell AT &T, started working on language C with classes. He borrowed desirable features from many other languages like Simula, Ada, ML, CLU and ALGOL 68. Thus, in addition to features of C language, C++ also included classes, strong type checking, default function argument and basic inheritance. Till 1983, it was called C with classes, and in 1983 it was named C++. During 1998, a joint ANSI-ISO committee released the specification for C++ language standards.
Benefits of C++
- C++ is a highly portable language and is often the language of choice for multi-device, multi-platform app development.
- C++ is an object-oriented programming language and includes classes, inheritance, polymorphism, data abstraction and encapsulation.
- C++ has a rich function library.
- C++ allows exception handling, and function overloading which are not possible in C.
- C++ is a powerful, efficient and fast language. It finds a wide range of applications – from GUI applications to 3D graphics for games to real-time mathematical simulations.
We provide Best C and CPP training in Ahmedabad.